Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Friday, December 03, 2004

Another Cog in the Wheel

Today was one of those days where it felt like I was the star in the Duncan Doughnuts commercial from the '80's---"Time to make the doughnuts". If you don't remember this, the basic premise was DD's plea to show you how dedicated they were to getting the customer the freshest product possible. The baker got up very early and with every event to get himself to the shop came out the phrase "Time to make the doughnuts.".

Plodding through my day felt like this. Every event, every step of the way, I felt like it was time to make the doughnuts. Could be that I am simply bored with what I do. Or the fact that I simply am a cog in the wheel of a major corporation. Easily replaced. Middle management, and appear to be stuck there for quite a bit longer. Feelings of being the gerbil on the squeaky wheel with no oil in sight. Just squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak, Monday through Friday. This is the rollercoaster called work and most appropriately so. If it wasn't work it would be called Super Duper Fun Time which work can be but isn't always going to be the case. Does anyone actually love what they do day in and day out? Is there a job that brings complete and total satisfaction when it's time to punch out? Maybe, however I suspect more often than not most people feel the same way as I about their work. Everyone has their days. Simply put, today was one of those.


2 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

i knew the doughnut metaphor would come in handy oneday. if you ever find that job let me know.

12:40 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Being a mommy is about as close as I've come to super duper fun time work. I don't get paid for it though, but the payoff value is priceless! And I guess there are days where I wish I could clock out early, but NOT MANY. Maybe 1 so far. Not bad, not bad at all.

2:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home