Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Extreme vs. Balance

Balance. Finding it is a daily task. What to focus on today? What is important? What do I want to do compared to what I have to do? Is there really such a thing as a "have to do" or is that merely something we thrust upon ourselves to create frustration? Balance is not something this society projects as important.

Think about it. Extreme sports. Big gulps. All you can eat buffets. Blackberrys which enable "connectiveness" at any given moment. Cribs marathons on MTV. Working at least 10 hours a day. 24 hour fitness. A two hour commute. Checking work email from home on the weekends. Marathons. Hummers posing as functional SUV's which will never see an ounce of off road capability. None of these things produce a sense of balance. It all needs to be taken to the maximum and when is it ok to say enough is enough? I understand that some people thrive on constantly pushing it to the limit. But then complain when their lives are too "full of things they have to do". How can balanced be achieved when no time is taken to ground the body and stay put, even if just for a little bit. What I do know is that since taking steps in the direction of slowing down and making an effort to balance (and still struggling with achieving balance) it makes my life less complicated and much more manageable and fufilling. Too much of anything just can't be good.

Where I struggle to most recently is with work. I just really don't like what I do. Have been with the same company for soon to be nine years and in the current job function for four. Over this time it has gone from small company to large corporation. It just doesn't seem to suit me anymore and I feel restless. I like what is done here but am sick of what my exact role is. There have been several reorganizations lately too which is always unsettling. Guess the thing to do is either start looking for a new job or figure out what keeps me here and make it redeeming. Just feeling a little lost with my contribution to society and what I am going to do to make the world a better place. I don't think my version of "fart noises" is really going to change the world. Tomorrow they are taking all of manufacturing and putting us on a boat to cruise around the bay. A bunch of drunk employees all trapped in the same spot. I am trying to figure out how not to get pushed overboard as well as avoid those whom annoy me most. Good luck with that.

3 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

be sure to wear a lifejacket just in case. and btw…super big gulps RULE!!

8:32 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:23 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

I think your fart noises could make a baby smile. That's worth something, I'd say.

3:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home