Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Life Basics

It's been regular life doing regular things. Nothing too exciting to report these days. The past week has been filled with settling into the apartment (still unpacking!), yoga, baking banana bread, making dinner(s), cleaning, birthday shopping for Miss B, and just hanging out. Life has been at a pace which is easily handled and comfortable.

One thing which became apparent the other day as things at work were a jumbled mess is how my life approach to work has changed significantly within the past 6 months. My job is primarily dealing with production changes based on inventory demand and lack of cohesive forecasting...ok, before I lull most of you into sleep, it's a job based on change. The prior approach was to dig my heels in and fight the swirl of ambiguity and uncertainty. This led to being driven bonkers as the current "plan" really isn't a plan at all. Yesterday however I noticed how fluidly change can be dealt with and it doesn't have to be a battle at all. I have tailored my interactions with people/departments now and approach work with the attitude that I can work with what I have in front of me, regardless if it is a change or the previous plan. Seems to be helping and living in the present is much more handy than worrying about what could be.

As for life around the flat, the same approach is helpful as well. We are having a good time working together to figure out where items should be placed such as pictures, furniture, and kitsch. The cats are adjusting and seem to enjoy paling around with eachother although we have yet to find them all curling up in the same sleep spot. Life with Miss B is pretty darn cool. And taking it day by day is the best approach found yet. Oh, we also purchased tickets to our "Meet the Family" tour (different from Focus on the Family!) where we will be spending 11 days in the midwest visiting both Wisconsin and Michigan. Will do so in June as not to be there during the super humid weather. It will be interesting to see how my family does with meeting a girlfriend. They have met two girls I have dated in the past and it was awkward at best. But I anticipate they will appreciate Miss B for exactly what she is, wonderful, grounded, and the best thing goin'!

There is also a 5K run which we are going to "train" for in the next month. The race is in late May so that gives us some time to get our endurance up to conquer the minimal distance. I have never run a race before. But if I don't have a goal to shoot for when it comes to running, it's not going to happen. Seems rather sad that I need to train for it as I used to be able to take on this distance at the bat of an eye. I guess it's all about starting over and establishing intention this time around. Perhaps it will make it easier to stick with and maintain.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

5K Mania! That's awesome! Can't wait to cheer you on...

11:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home