Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Driver Driver

At work today our group attended a department wide class called Social Styles. There was a bit of pre-work completed by ourselves and our co-workers to determine exactly what social style we are based on interactions, body language, communication, non-verbals, all that hoo-ha. The 4 labels are: expressive, driver, amiable, and analytical. No surprise, I came up a driver. In fact, we were then given a sub-category which is essentially the back up method used when it's not possible to rely on the primary behavior. Some folks were amiable drivers or expressive aimiables. Once again, I turned out to be a driver driver. Great.

What this means is the communication style utilized by your's truly is of the following list: direct, serious, confrontational, all about business, control seeking, goal oriented, and accomplishment driven. Mind you, this is not at all what I wanted to be categorized as. Most people would prefer to be expressive or amiable, but not a driver. I have learned to accept my driver-ness and rather than fight it, will make the most out of the driver situation. I suppose every group needs a driver of some sort. But come on, who really wants to be considered an extreme driver. Could be worse things I suppose.

Due to the training today I was able to leave work at 4pm. Needed to go to Target for supplies for the trip which is also located right next to the Serremonte mall. I hate malls. Ever since going to one in Madison, WI not too long after my return from Peace Corps. Had a panic attack after buying 5 pair of underwear for what had been my salary for 2 months while a volunteer and vowed to return only out of sheer necessity. (Victoria's Secret or Hot Topix) Anyway, since I was at Target and close to the mall anyway, thought it might be ok to pop in and take care of the only and last of my holiday shopping. (Miss Becky and I are going to have a very minor gift exchange and I purchased coffee and chocolate for my parents. That's it, the extent of shopping this year.) Big mistake. The place was crawling with folks from all ages racing from store to store to get the very last of their items and there I was amongst it all wanting to run and hide. Eventually I ended up purchasing some socks and a few things for Becky and bailed after getting everything I needed from Target. I don't think I want to do that again.

Also went to Get Lost a travel book and map store in the Lower Haight. I love that place! They have everything you can imagine for travel. Purchased an inflatable neck pillow for the plane ride. An excellent map of the big island detailing spots for snorkeling, diving, and hiking. And finally, a book called Hidden Adventures in Hawaii. I can't wait to go. Not long now....

1 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

malls + holiday = no fun. factor in the noone speaks your language and its even worse. drive on mrs. driver.

8:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home