Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Friday, October 15, 2004

Yogurt

Never in a million years did taking yoga seem to be something I would ever want to do. This activity seemed far too granola and whoowhoo--the land of shambala and chanting. Last February I met a fantastic individual from NYC whom convinced me otherwise. Granted, she didn't have to try all that hard because for some reason in my mid-30's the thought of obtaining good exercise in something other than a gym became very appealing. Also, last year at this time I had to cease running due to a nasty bone spur which has developed on the bottom of my left heel. The doctor gave me orthodics (which I picked up on my 35th birthday, talk about being made to feel old!) and said I had to find physical activity which was not so high impact. Yoga seemed to be the ultimate choice. I took a Yoga 101 course and from there a solid base was built that I did in fact want to pursue it as at least a once per week event. I tried different types of classes--hatha flow, Iyengar, Restorative, and Anusara. Some I liked, others just didn't seem to fit the bill. For some reason I continued to go to the Anusara class which is odd because it was the one I found to be the strangest. The first class we had to close our eyes and dance in place on our mats. The instructor had us chant, sing Amazing Grace, and tell strangers one thing in our daily lives that we would do to relax and slow down. I remember telling Miss Colorado about this and cracking up because it just didn't sound like something I would ever want to do. Her first question was "Do you think you will go back?" to which I answered "ABSOLUTELY!". Almost every Thursday night from 6-7:30 I can be found in this class doing all the things I termed to be weird. Perhaps it was thought to be strange because it was so different from anything I ever knew. Maybe I pay $10 per week to belong to a illusive cult. Whatever it is, I truly believe this class keeps me from losing my marbles and wanting to slap people on a daily basis. Yoga rocks my world. One thing which is hard to get over for someone who really does think farts are always funny is the amount of gas which slips out in every class. The yoga fart chorus has some very interesting melodies indeed!

Last night it was a whole new experience however as I should not have gone after the bloodletting session. I had to stop here and there because a couple of times I got light headed and thought I was going to pass out. The instructor was informed beforehand in the event this should happen. I had visions of an aerobics class from college. My roommates and I were kicking along getting that heartbeat up and BAM, for no apparent reason I twisted my ankle and had to be carried off the floor. This of course happened 2 minutes after the roommates and I made fun of another girl whom had to be carried off. What comes around goes around. Yet more proof that I can't laugh at farts in yoga. The next thing ya know....bhfruurrrt! (that is supposed to be a fart)

In the political corner, there was a frightening map on the front of the SF Chronicle today. It showed all the states which were captured by Monkey Bush, captured by the Political Skeletor, and the yet to be decided. Wisconsin is one of these states which is to be decided which is rather shocking. Last election Gore carried it, but rather slimly. Other than the Reagan years, it has always been democratic. (And who wasn't voting Republican then?) What is wrong with the Cheeseheads? How is it this can even be remotely close? Come on home people, step up and save America from 4 more years of Bushranny. Ugh. Several other states in the Midwestern belt will in fact decide the election. I am nervous as all get out to see what happens. Perhaps I need more yoga.... The SF Chronicle did also report the other day that if people voted the day after the last debate, Kerry would have won. But then again, consider the source. The Chronicle is the chronicle afterall and in San Francisco for pete's sake. It did make me breathe a little easier but only for a bit. Another thing the Chronicle reported was that most countries view Americans as ok but America is not. The polls taken in these very same countries stated that the problem is Monkey Bush and if they were to vote for either one, Political Skeletor would win in a landslide. How is it that far away nations can see this so clearly but the people whom make up this country can't seem to posses the same sort of deductive reasoning? I don't get it. Monkey Bush also met with the press yesterday while aboard airforce1, something he never does. (I think it's because they are going to ask him questions he can't possibly answer due to his inability to think on his own and remain the puppet he is but that's my theory.) Some feel that for Political Skeletor this is good news as it means he is nervous and may finally be realizing that the throne may not be his for another 4 years. During this press meeting he talked about how confident he is that the prize is his to be had and that nothing can stop him now. I sure hope something can. 19 days and counting!

Excitement for tonight: Going to see an amazing author Augsten Burroughs, the author of DRY and Running with Scissors. His new book came out and am going with Miss B to A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books. After that, home to watch the debate from Wednesday night on the couch with my lovely lady. YAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home