Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Complete Opposites

Last night PBS ran a special called The Choice 2004. This program provided perhaps the least bias history of both candidates in the running for President. How is it that something like this is not featured on any of the major networks. Oh, that's right, PBS has smart television. I learned a whole lot about both Kerry and Monkey Bush and it was presented in a way as if to say "Here they are. YOU choose.", the way ideally the decision about whom will be the next President should be made. If you have the chance, please watch this program. It's very good.

Never in my very short history of being a human being have I ever seen two candidates so completely opposite. Everything Monkey Bush supports, Kerry opposes and vice versa. Everything. Tonight's debate on domestic policy will be about things like healthcare, abortion, stem cell research, gay marriage, the death penalty, and taxes. In the past, 9 times out of 10, the democratic candidate has a more publicly friendly policy. One thing Monkey Bush may have in his favor however are the conservative voters whom didn't turn up in 2000 but will now to back his extreme right wing policies. Looking back at history there has not been a President this conservative. Living in the bubble of San Francisco it's easy to forget that there are people out there who think gays shouldn't be able to get married, abortion is killing, and the death penalty is the best choice and deterrent to crime. Frightening but true. Kerry needs to come out swinging and explain his policies clearly and coherently for the average Joe/Jane to understand. If he does not, it could be the biggest mistake of his political career. The guy can talk even himself into circles. Let's hope this doesn't happen tonight. These two candidates are like magnets repelling one another. It doesn't get any more interesting than this folks.

Opposites aren't to be seen as bad either. It's always educable to look at both sides with an open view. There is the whole theory about opposites attracting. Sometimes it works, other times not. My special lady and I are opposite enough that we don't clash. We even one another out very well in ways I never thought possible. For instance, she has actually gotten me to go to sleep at night without ensuring all my clothing has been neatly folded and put away. This is a huge change for me! Miss B and I are also rather opposite in our taste of music. But we do what we can to work out a compromise and also get well versed in tunage neither of us had really ever thought to listen to. However, we are not opposite politically. Looking at the two of us, I don't know how in the world either one could ever be Republican and never will be. I guess we are simply put--opposite enough in a way that works for us. (That is an appropriate use of the word us, I checked in the Lesbian dating rulebook.)

On a lighter note, the feeling of doom and gloom has left me. I got out on my bike last night and did some peddling around. What a beautiful warm night! Didn't need a jacket or anything. Nothing like a good night's sleep to help with the blues. There was no nuclear meltdown in my body either. All this one day at a time crap is starting to pay off. As much as I would love to say it's b.s., it's true and it works. Go figure. The Wednesday night crew is meeting at Chow to say farewell to a friend leaving for NYC. I will miss her and am proud of this major geographic she and her partner are making. Look out NYC!

I've got my VCR set to capture the debate. No, I haven't been sucked into the world of TIVO as that would require me to purchase cable television, something I will not do. I like my 5 free stations, thank you very much. (This explains why I was watching PBS last night!) Go Kerry Go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home