Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Just do your job!

I'm a supervisor. I have 5 people whom work directly for me. 4 of these 5 people do what I ask them on a daily basis and 9 times out of 10, go far beyond my expectations. They rock. They are hard working folk who understand what it means to do their job. On the other hand, I have another employee who is essentially a pain in my ass. I have to hold his hand through everything. Can't rely on him to do what is asked, constantly have to watch over his shoulder or he simply won't get things done. How is it that people like this exist? How can you not get your work done? There are simple things which can be done to alleviate the problem. 1) ask questions! If one takes the time to say "You know what, I don't get it. I need some help here. I cannot do what you have asked because I don't understand..." it alleviates part of this zig-zagging after one another. By asking it also clues me in to the fact that there is a problem. As it is now I have to dig for this information. Drives me crazy. 2) updates on progress are helpful. Why is it I have to track this employee down to get answers? Why not be more forthcoming and tell me what the heck is going on! I feel like a cop sometimes, working the biotech beat of planning and scheduling. So now I have had to go down the PIP (performance improvement plan) route which simply stinks. I picture this young British boy named Pip saying "Hello, my name is PIP and I'm here to help!". He has blonde hair, blue eyes, and a little yellow hat. PIP is in the house. I suppose this is what I am being paid to do and should just shut up however people that don't do their job annoy me.

On a political note, some polls are claiming Cheney won the debate on Tuesday, others report it was a tie. No one is leaning in the favor of the Slick Hot Dem. The spin being put on this one is that it's more important than the presidential debates. Not so sure about that. What is the Vice President really? Think about the Senior Bush administration. What were they trying to pull off with someone like Dan qualude? (Dudes on ludes should not drive...I'll give you a quarter if you can tell me where that came from!) Did they ever think that the second in charge really should be the second in charge? Or perhaps it's one of the most overlooked positions in the job market today. Junior Bush is clearly a puppet for Old Crusty Whitey to boss around. More important than the presidential debates, I don't think so.

I need to go eat something chocolate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Prattlepants said...

Fast Times! Fast times! When do I get my quarter dude?

12:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home