Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Making Jelly Doughnuts it is

I took the job. I will be responsible for the making of jelly doughnuts with a staff of 65ish people. This should be interesting. For years I said I would never take a job like this and here I am. Guess that is what happens when one swears they won't do something. Other things I said I would never do in the past were: wear birkenstocks, (I don't do that anymore anyway but did for several years), live in San Francisco, eat soy cheese, and oh I don't know, be gay. Used to live in a much more black and white world which really wasn't very smart considering how often things change and what newness can be presented at the drop of a hat. So what if I said I would never take this job. Here I am and going to give it a go. Like anything new, I am freaked out a bit as to exactly what the hell I am supposed to be doing and what this job will be like. That goes for anything like this, right? What I do know if that I will be spending a lot more time at work and at odd hours. But I will adjust. Always do. The Jelly Doughnut Manager job starts June 1st. Wish me luck! After being in the same job for the past 5 years, this is certainly going to stretch the things I do well and probably overstretch things still needing to learn. No more slacking and highly doubtful there will be any blogging at work. Although that hasn't happened much the past few months. Notice the infrequency of posts.

Other life changes: have attempted to go vegan, at least 80% of the time. Have cut way down on milk and cheese consumption. Rarely have anything with sugar in it. Have been avoiding wheat products as well. Figured out yesterday after hopping on the scale that I have lost 23 pounds since going on sabbatical in 2003. Looking at pictures, it's true. I didn't even realize it until I did some math and there ya go. It wasn't so hard to adjust after going through the cleanse with the yoga class. It's amazing looking back at how much crud was going into this body. Don't get me wrong. Am sure to have a burrito once a week minus the sour cream and fake cheese. Or if we go to a dinner party and there is a yummy rack of lamb, I am going to eat some. It's just monitoring it on a regular basis and saving the foods which aren't so fabulous for me to eat on special ocassions. Really did think it would be a lot more difficult but it isn't. Just have to make sure to make food fun. It's just a different way of looking at it. If food becomes un-enjoyable, then it's time to think about how to do this differently. De-sugared. Decaffinated. De-dairied. Yet again a list of things I thought I would never do. Hm. Funny.

Other good news, I am going to be an aunt again. My little brother and his wife are expecting a new bundle of Lohr in the beginning of September. This will make number 10 in the neice and nephew category. He said his daughther Vanessa reminds him a lot of me. I guess she has an odd sense of humor and really looks like a Lohr. There ya have it. Amazing how the genes just keep carrying on even though we have only seen one another three times since she was born. That is one drawback of living far from family--missing the littles grow up. However it's a choice I have had to make. Miss B was just back in Michigan last week (grandpa passed away) and she got to spend lots of time with her littles who are adorable. They kept asking when I was going to show up. I think they might be starting to understand that B and I aren't like other couples they know. Will know a bit more when we go back there in weeks to come.

Off to yoga and a day of fun. We are headed to the east bay eventually to play tennis and go out for beers with Hot Toddie, a friend from Peace Corps. YAY! Good day to you all.

3 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

wow! so much happening with you: babies, job, veganism. who r u? and what have u done with my pevil? seriously, sounds like things r coming together for. its amazing what we realize we really don't need. you'll be great at the gig. kudos. now that you're a manager does that mean i get free jelly doughnuts. congrats again. smooches

6:00 PM

 
Blogger Brad Williams said...

Congrats on the big promotion, P!

10:47 AM

 
Blogger dac said...

you shouldnt worry about the new job, you'll do great! let those 65 other start to worry, because the P i know wont tolerate a sloppy donut factory!!

8:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home