Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

My so called student life

I work in planning and scheduling. BORING. Just as boring are the classes I am taking at the moment to get my APICs CPIM certification declaring knowledge of supply, demand, capacity, blah blah blah. The jelly doughnut factory is making the turn from shooting from the hip and planning however to actually using systems. In order to keep up with this transformation, it's time to learn the terms and baloney which goes along with it or 5 years or so from now there will be no job for lil' old me. For the next year, I will be taking three days every other month to learn all about Supply Chain Management and then drive to Oakland to take a test on it. Folks, there is math involved. Math and I do not have a symbiotic relationship. In fact, it keeps me awake at night in fear of failing this damn thing as well as also knowing there are 4 more exams after this one to knock off. Getting ahead of myself? Yes. Knowing how I do with math and exams, maybe not. What this means? Weekends spent studying and being a student. Guess it's good to exercise parts of the brain which haven't been touched in years but Jesus H Christ, why did I have to do this now? In summary, square roots, cycle times, and material resource planning are stuck in this head. Let me go shove my head in the oven now. Also on top of all this is the need to do my actual job which is also insanely busy. Woke up at 5am today to get there by 6:30 with a co-worker to align steps forward for production prior to going to class. I'm thinking a glass of wine tonight might be a good idea.

On a lighter note, Miss B and I went to go see a gay mortgage broker last night. Bringing all financials in tow, we all sat together to discuss neighborhoods, risk, loans, and all the other stuff which goes along with home buying. I have dabbled in this previously but never really took it seriously. Making an investment this large scares the living daylights out of me. It's SO much money! It's understood that it's investing in a different way but still, to tie it all up in one place and take on this serious adulthood purchase is mindblowing. Not sure if I am ready. Love the place we are in now and the ideal thing to do would be to purchase this flat. Highly unlikely. The landlord is one smart cookie and recently retired meaning Miss B and I are his mortgage payment seeing as he bought the place eons ago. Can't hurt to ask however it's more than likely there will be a loud guffaw followed by a "What are you, nuts?". Staying in Bernal is the ultimate goal but again, with prices the way they are, even though qualifying for a large loan was possible, not sure how comfortable it would be and if it's worth the stress at this time. Perspective = it took me 3 months to buy a vacuum. A house may take a little longer, to say the very least.

I was thinking about ex-girlfriends the other day. All of them are so different however having one common theme, that being degrees of crazy. I dealt with the scale from1 to 10 and am glad that even being associated with a scale is long gone. How in the world did I deal with that? Guess you don't really know until taking the step back but sheesh, the things ya learn.

I am going to go read my new book "The Wall" and take a bath. Must sleep soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

don't forget about pi. i'm sure you'll do great on the test. you are a smart cookie afterall.

5:49 AM

 
Blogger Prattlepants said...

luckeeeee...

4:17 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

woo hoo for taking the big leap into considering buying a home here. you ARE all growed up.

9:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home