Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Three Points

Took the APICS exam on friday early in the morning. Studied for the past two weeks as if it were finals and it was the semester to make a 4.0 GPA. Well, that didn't pay off. In order to pass, a score of 300 was required. I got a 297. If I had gotten one more question correct it would indeed said on the certificate "PASS" and it would be over. As it is now, I have to wait a month and take it again. The thing is, I truly don't know which questions I got right and which ones were wrong. Reading through them and checking over twice did not get me to pass. The math part was the easiest which really shocked me. Perhaps I studied the wrong things. Perhaps I should have done a bit more. But as it stands, a 297 doesn't quite make the grade. This isn't shocking however. I have never done well on exams. There was a test I had to take in order to get accepted into the school of education at the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse, my alma matar. I took it twice and failed. Had to petition the board to get a chance for a third try. Thank goodness I finally passed that one. This is feeling very much the same. What does frighten me is that there are 4 more exams to take for the 4 other courses I am currently scheduled to attend throughout the rest of the year. I guess I will try again in a month and also take the exam for the upcoming "Master Scheduling" course at the end of May. Good times. Or something.

Friday I was offered the plant manager of the jelly making doughnuts factory position. I don't know what to do. I am scared to death of the amout of work and dedication this is going to require. I am afraid to give up my free time and easy schedule. I don't want to be married to this job. However, if I say no it's a bit of a strike against me being offered this opportunity to do a job which is this impactful. It's for an area I know really well and have worked in now for years. But it's also going to be the most challenging thing I have done in a really long time. It wouldn't have to last forever though and once I would get through the first year, I should be able to work things out and balance life again. The pay increase is significant as well and certainly would help out in the purchase of the house. It wouldn't be as much of a stretch. As you can see there are things which are very appealing and things which I really don't want to have to deal with on a daily basis. We shall see. I have until Monday to decide. Miss B says she will support me no matter what I choose. But this does mean that I won't be able to continue the role of betty homemaker doing most of the cooking and cleaning and having an abundance of time away from work. I'll let you know what I decide on Monday.

The cleanse is going to be done on Sunday night! I am hoping to break fast with a burrito or tofu enchiladas. But we will have to wait and see how the consult turns out as to what foods I should be eating and which ones I should stay away from. Everything in moderation. The world's most gross part of the cleanse took place last night. To get out all the toxins, last night before bed we had to drink 5 teaspoons of castor oil mixed up with juice. Disgusting. The nice part was we both got to sit around with hot water bottles on our bellies to get things really moving. So we did that while we watched season 4 of Queer as Folk. Let's just say this morning the castor oil did what it is supposed to and the toxins are gone. Also found, one of Miss B's socks. Ok, it wasn't really that bad but it was pretty darn disgusting. And for the record, I don't want to eat any sort of indian quisine anytime soon. I've had it with the curry based kitchari we have been eating every lunch and dinner since last Sunday. Good god I must love Miss B because there really is no other reason I would do this on my own. This one makes the other cleanse we do look like a cake walk. Today we are supposed to be fasting but I had some quinoa and tea. Not sure if I will have anything else today. Too soon to tell.

The coffee shop has officially closed. Cafe Commons is no more. After being in business for 10 years, the owners sold the building and made them vacate. I have been stopping there almost every day since 1999. Miss Colorado introduced me to their bagel scrams, lattes with hearts on top, caring and kind attitudes. I miss them so much already. Drove by last night and the windows have paper put up on them and it just looks dismal. We are going to a party for them this afternoon and we will be taking them a quiche. Won't be able to eat anything but will still be nice to wish them well and let them know how much they are missed. Never thought I would miss a place so much. To prepare Miss B and I purchased a new coffee pot and will be making it from home for here on out. I figured it out and I spend about $1,000 on lattes alone each year. Add in bagel scrams or with cream cheese and tomato and who knows what the cost reaches. However, it's been worth every penny and stopping by daily is going to be greatly missed. Farewell Cafe Commons.

2 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

maybe there'll be a 3-point curve. hang in there. truly sad news to hear about cc. those two are great peeps. wish them all the best from me.

6:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alma matar!
funny.

2:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home