Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Monday, January 10, 2005

36

This past Saturday the number 36 arrived in my life. Although per a birthday card from mom, I was not only having another birthday, it was my 39th none the less! She called to confirm that indeed there was a misrecollection of what year Pauline Kay Lohr arrived on the planet. It was 1969, not 1966. The latter was the year Greg, the older brother was born. At first it was thought perhaps I was Greg's twin and wasn't smart enough so after 3 years in kindergarten, I was then let loose to move forward while Greg far surpassed me. Then it occurred to me that perhaps mom was losing it and simply didn't know how to track her kids anymore. Not so. She's the sharpest tool in the shed and senility is far far from where my mom is today. She called in the morning, sang happy birthday, and then informed me I was in fact 36 and she goofed documenting the date. Whoopsy!

Every year I have my mom tell me about the day I was born. I am the third of 4 kids. By the time mom was pregnant with numero 3 she knew what she could handle, what labor pains felt like, and when the baby was on it's way. It was about 5pm and she was reading stories to my older sister and brother, Debbie and Greg while laying on the bed. Mom knew I was on the way and it was time so she called down to the barn where dad was milking cows and said "Dear, it's time to go to the hospital, the baby is on it's way." to which dad replied "Hold on honey, I've got 20 more cows to milk!" and hung up the phone. Doris rang Mel a few more times and with each call he told her how many cows he had left and that she was just going to have to wait. Finally, her water broke. This was it, I was showing up whether dad was done milking cows or not. Mom called one more time and in her very mom way said "I don't care how many cows you have left my water broke and we have to leave NOW!". Off to Baraboo, WI they went which was a good half hour away and it was snowing like no one's business. Debbie and Greg got dropped off at Grandma and Grandpa Lohr's house along the way. Eventually Mom and Pop arrived at the hospital and 20 minutes later I was brought into this world. This was long before father's went into the delivery room. My dad has seen many a calf being born however his own kids? No way, not a chance. The doctor walked dad down the hall and they peered in the window together. Dad looked up and said "Wow, that sure is a great son I have go there!". Wishful thinking on his part I think and the doctor said "Mel, she's wrapped in a pink blanket, you have got yourself a girl!". And so my life began as a tomboy...I didn't have a chance.

36 is an odd number to turn. I am no longer in my mid-thirties, this is pretty much on the way to the 40's. Although I don't think/act like an adult of almost over the hill proportions, it's still strange to think that I of all people am thirty six years of age. It's inevitable. You can always count on taxes, death, and the aging process.

Had a great day and Miss Becky spoiled me rotten. Started the day with yoga class. While I was parking the car Becky told the teacher it was my birthday and the next thing you know I am demonstrating a handstand for the class and they are singing the happy birthday song. How cute is that? We then went to dimsum at Yank Sing. SOOOOO GOOD! I never have had it before. The sesame balls, could eat those forever let me tell ya! Then it was off to the Eagle for pre-pizza drinks. Told Miss B that she could drink for me and I would celebrate my day by staying sober. And I did...it was that easy! Eventually we ended up at Pauline's Pizza joined by lots of other folks. It was a blast and I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful day. So far, 36 isn't so bad! Thank you all for the great cards, gifts, and thoughtfulness on my special day. Well, me, Elvis, and David Bowie!

1 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

no, thank you for being born. i would have love to seen you standing on your head. birthday wishes for p!!

4:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home