Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Friday, October 29, 2004

Adventures in Sobriety

There have been no altering substances in my body for exactly 6 months as of today. No alcohol. No weed. Nothing other than pain reliever and an occasional dose of caffeine which I must have to start my day or it's just bad for everyone and a migrane is produced. Sobriety was inspired due to the last episode where after having some fun, thoughts of my house burning down, excessive anxiousness, convinced Sammy the cat was left for dead, and essentially having conversation after conversation in my head which did not end up with a favorable outlook on anything. Six months sober has not been achieved since probably age 13. After that age, there was always something available on one level or another. It seemed impossible to achieve but the day has arrived.

Some pretty darn good things have happened during this "time out" period. It is no longer required to make a list to do everything. Short term memory loss has improved some and its less and less often that I find myself in front of the hallway closet saying "What am I looking for again?". Riding up Bernal hill on my bike after yoga class causes feelings of being winded but no longer creates the sensation that lungs are bleeding or are going to come heaving up and out onto the pavement. It's easy to recollect the evening of activity. No longer are the questions asked of "How did I get here?" or "Why are my shoes still on?" while passed out in bed. Have not awoke in a pile of gravel in quite some time. No excruciating migranes due to marginal vodka. I have yet been forced to make and apology to Miss B for saying or doing something that certainly would have only happened had several drinks been consumed. The fog has lifted a little bit. Maybe someday I will start ripping tubes again but not for now.

180 days and counting....one hour at a time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody brilliant! :)

1:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home