Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Friday, March 04, 2005

Back to the Future

It's the night to shop for the procrastinator's new year's eve party. This is a fiesta held every year by my pal MistyL (for the past 15 years I believe) in which New Year's Eve is done in a "do-over" mode where everyone actually has F-U-N fun this time around. It was inspired by herself and some friends years ago when they all had lame New Year's Eve celebrations. This is truly my favorite party every year and what makes it so special is that it always has a theme. This year it is 1980's prom.

What I'm picturing: tuxedo jacket, jeans which are appropriately rolled and pegged, black converse, t-shirt tuxedo shirt, U2 and Duran Duran pins on the jacket, and to top it all off, a mullet wig. It's two toned and on loan from A. I will have to be blind for the night as I don't have the glasses which I wore from the 80's and my tiny square German ones won't do, would ruin the look. As for Miss B, am hoping to find a gaudy prom dress at a costume shop or two throughout the city. I want her to dress up like Madonna from the Like a Virgin album however she feels it can't be pulled off. Am sure we will come across something which will work. A has already put together some excellent CD's for the event and between her and Ted, it will be a night to dance our pants off! Historically I usually haven't gotten home from this gig until at least 3am. It's held at a bar this year so it will be a bit different however MistyL won't have to worry about her remote control ending up in someone's beer again which is good.

Theme for the party: EVERYBODY WANG CHUNG TONIGHT!

Now that I think about it, I went to two proms in the 80's. One of which I was the organizer of ceremonies during my junior year. Being class president meant also that I was in charge of pulling the prom off. First kid to ever hire a DJ (and by god the kids danced!), crazy decorations, and even got the song "Nikki" by Prince banned from future school dances. Hee hee! I didn't go with a date a for two reasons: 1) boys never asked me out 2) I was far too occupied with the punch and record selection to be bothered with a date. That year my best friend Tiffany was crowned queen and I longed to be her date. Sigh. I wore a pink dress with white pumps and had a corsage due to being the organizer and MC. The second prom was my senior year when a bunch of girls who were single went in a Winnebago so we could drink like fish, stay out all night, and drive at the same time! I wore a big red puffy dress and felt like a football player wearing a skirt for a uniform. Also included was blue eye shadow, lots of hairspray, and nail polish. The tomboy was showing through and through however as I chugged beer bongs prior to the dance. If they could only see me now...Molly Ringwald is my hero!

2 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

PLAID!! you should have gone with the PLAID!!

12:55 AM

 
Blogger Misty L said...

I love prom stories...especially midwestern prom stories. And the LESBIAN midwestern prom stories take the cake.

11:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home