Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Friday, April 11, 2008

Every Day is Like Sunday

I am at work, listening to my favorite online radio station, KCRW. The Smiths are playing and it's a wonderful day to hear the song listed in the title of the post again. Being a child of the 80's/90's, of course I will always have a special tie to this music. Our last trip to Big Basin I filled up my CD holder with all kinds of stuff that I hadn't listened to in a long time. This included Pat Benatar, The Smiths, The B-52's, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., to name a few. Belting out Heartbreaker and Fire and Ice completely rocked! It's amazing where this can take you back to as well. All sorts of college and high school memories. Just thinking of the fashion that went along with this music was silly as well. Nothing like a walk down memory lane. Reading Sir JEthan's post the other day, he was making a plug for the new B-52's album Funplex. After they sold out to the Flintstone's movie with Rosie O, I pretty much gave up on them. But will seek it out. And what's with the big push of R.E.M. lately? Last weekend B and I were shopping downtown and they played it everywhere! Lululemon, BR, the Levi's store, you name it, R.E.M. was happening. They do have a new album out which is supposed to be good but again, gave up on them after UP. I can't believe I hung in there that long!

One thing I forgot to mention was the first karaoke experience a few weekends ago. I have never felt comfortable singing in front of people. Ever. It's completely a confidence thing. I can carry a tune and enjoy singing along while cleaning, in the car, where ever. Some people we met through our Saturday morning yoga class had a karaoke party and invited us. Neither B nor I were all that excited about going, but opted to anyway. We really didn't know these people that well but thought it could be fun. By the time we showed up they were lit and in action. We glanced through the song selection book and found something that would work: Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar, see above. We rocked it! Other selections of the evening were Close to You by the Carpenters and finally You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC. Got a standing ovation for the last one! So, yes, I will do karaoke again and have figured out I just need to know the song really well and hey, it's no problem. Perhaps I will throw in a little Buffalo Soldier next time. Right?

1 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

you gots to sing it like you mean it. way to rock out the k-machine.
i highly recommend the b-52s, verdict on the new r.e.m is still out.

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home