Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

It is Finished

If any of you know anything about Jesus, you will recall that his last words on the cross before dying were "It is finished.". I would think it to be more appropriate to say "These fucking nails in my hands and feet hurt like a bitch!" but what do I know. Anyway, to quote the bearded do-gooder, the phrase It is finished! is now what I have been walking around the house saying because our move is complete. Finished up with the very last of it around 7pm on Tuesday evening. We will not be moving anytime soon, I can guarantee you that!

There will never again be a self move performed. After renting the truck and the pain which came along with it, I am hiring movers from here on out. Why you ask? Well here are a few points of interest:

  • Driving a 15 foot long truck is not easy. Previous experiences from growing up on a farm driving feed trucks which were huge was no problem. However, there was never a need to park amongst city traffic nor drive across the Bay Bridge. Driving big trucks is tough on the nerves!
  • While attempting to park in front of Becky's apartment I hit a 1985 Nissan Sentra. Not only did I dent in the front wheel well and take out the driver's side headlight, but also the car did a 180 into traffic. This of course had to be reported to the insurance company and there is a potential for my rates to increase.
  • After the move was complete Miss B and I took everyone who helped us out for burritos. It was yummy and well deserved. Once back at the new homestead we went to return the rental truck and lo and behold, the keys were no where to be found. Thank goodness the man at the rental agency took pity on us, handed over the spare and said not to worry about the lost key charge if we got another one made. Did so in a hurry and returned the beastly vehicle.
  • I am bruised all over my body beyond belief. The welt on my elbow has three colors at the moment (green, yellow, purple) as well as my hip from the previously mentioned fall. To make matters worse when I opened the hatch of my lesbaru to get out the last load to be hauled into the palace of cohabitation a huge wooden cutting board fell out into my knee cap. It's sore and bruised, just like the rest of my body. I'm old and this move just took another 3 years off of me, I swear!

We (an appropriate we) are now living out of boxes and attempting to get the cats to tolerate one another. They have been sequestered in separate rooms but are getting used to one another gradually. We watched a movie last night while they explored the respective rooms. Lots of hissing, some growling, but no bloodshed so looks like it's going well! We are also having a good time making decisions regarding what goes where, what duplicates have to go, picking out a shower curtain, and other general household decisions which I have never made with a special lady friend before. The move may be finished but it's also a new exciting chapter opening up right before my eyes! It's worth all the toil and trouble listed above!

2 Comments:

Blogger Prattlepants said...

YAY peevil! sounds like you spent more in pain, toil, and insurance rates as you would have if youd hired some big bulky fuckers to move you. god forbid you should ever relocate, i'll remind you to call the professionals. congratulations on the new and exciting step - im horribly jealous and with damn good reason - love to you both & mazel tov!

9:16 PM

 
Blogger Frederick Henery said...

I understand your pain... I also know very well to never say the word never.

Just think Rick and I have done this four times since April 2001. Is is any wonder we are even close to being sane and even more amazing that we managed to move each time without much trauma. We are lucky.

Enjoy the new place. All the short term pain will be well worth it in the end.

Hope to visit in fall.

10:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home