Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

One Minute

One minute is a long time. In order to improve endurance and speed, our training has moved into the next phase. The past phase was entitled "Get your ass out and run well enough so you don't feel as death is around the next corner". That phase has been successfully achieved. Running three miles no longer makes me feel as though my lungs are going to come flying up and out of my chest while spewing blood out of my mouth. Mind you, I am still not overjoyed at the thought of running however there is a noticeable difference if it isn't attended to every few days. Miss B is in the process of training for the Nike Women's half marathon in October. I am attempting to perform the same training to see if perhaps I can accomplish it alongside. She is officially signed up for the race. I'm just thinking about it and pretending as though I will have to race. We shall see. This phase involves interval training which is running a shorter distance (2 or three miles) and then performing 6 sprints, one minute each. For the love of god, it's hard! Last night while doing these on a flat portion of Church Street in Noe Valley, I felt as though I looked like Phoebe from the Friends episode where Rachel refused to run with her anymore because of how goofy she looked. Seeing as flat portions of streets is a rarity in San Francisco, the same area was trafficked a few times. After the sprints then it is time for the rest of the run which ended up being about 1.5 miles. This training thing isn't easy. No one said it was going to be. Tomorrow is a 4 mile run and upon completion, a series of 6 gradual pick ups. The long run this week will be 5 miles. I don't think I have ever run 5 miles in my entire life. Should be fine. Will update on that as it happens. At least running doesn't hurt anymore...and one minute IS a long time under certain circumstances.

Six Feet Under season three has been out on DVD for a while. I have been avoiding starting the series as once the first show is viewed, it means I am hooked for a while and rather than read at night, it's all about what's happening to Claire, David, Nate, or Ruth. Oi. This is why I really don't watch TV anymore. It's such a time suck. There are times when it is completely appropriate and therapeutic. Zoning out and having nothing to think about from time to time is exactly what the doctor ordered. But not on a daily basis. There is just so much else to do that is time well spent. To each their own...

Miss B and I got to have a lunch date today. She drove me to work this morning, after she made a bagel and got in a stop at the coffee shop. We had to drop her truck off to see what's up with the exhaust system. It's not sounding so good. She then made her way to Palo Alto to hit Title 9 sports to exchange some stuff. On her way back she swung by the Jelly Doughnut Factory and we went out for Thai food. I can get used to this her not working thing. Summer vacation started a few weeks ago and since then I haven't had to cook or clean a whole lot. She does the grocery shopping. Even laundry a few times. Having a wife rocks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

But did you feel like Phoebe? Free, like a little kid? I love that show, god damnit!

Nimbara on all the running. All I do anymore is eat milkshakes and drink mocha fraps. I don't feel like I'm at death's door yet, but close.

I started watching "Hook-up" Reality TV and Friends are my achilles heel. Ugh. Kill your television, right? Hi to Miss B!

11:21 PM

 
Blogger Misty L said...

I love tv.

10:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home