Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Protesting and Amazing Food! All in the same weekend!

Amazing family dinner food supplied by D&R at their home near the Picklenut!
Protest sign of the day. At least chickens have rights, right?!?!
The weekend flew by once again and I can't believe it's Monday already. Not sure why I am shocked by this phenomena since it does happen every week. Right after Sunday, Monday is there. I think it's more the feeling of just needed Thanksgiving break to get here already. Miss B talked me into taking the day off before just to sleep in and relax. No one is going to be at the jelly doughnut factory anyway other than the doughnut makers (who are my people) but oddly enough, they can survive without me, at least for a day or two.
We did partake in the "Feel the impact" protest held all around the United States in various cities. There was a large turn out in San Francisco, that not being surprising at all since we do have such a large concentration of gays here in the Bay Area. The cool thing was that it wasn't just gays. Everyone was there in support of the fact that the passing of Prop 8 is just simply wrong. It's about equal rights, nothing about how one actually feels when it comes to gay marriage. What may in fact be a good thing about it failing is that this is pushing the issue to a national level and perhaps we will see a larger sweeping change come out of it rather than just on the state by state level. But it's too soon to tell. Either way, it was amazing to see all the support and to feel part of something that is so very monumental and important.
Sometimes I feel like my generation is the "Who cares and let someone else deal with it!" generation and we have just sat back doing nothing while all sorts of stuff has run amok. And perhaps that is right on. There is a surge in the air and everyone is jumping in, riding that wave of doing something rather than sitting on the couch, taking another bong hit, saying "Yeah, I'll get to that tomorrow.". (Not that there is anything wrong with bong hits! You can actually do them and be active but I was just trying to make a point!) This has really got people stirred up and it's good to feel a part of it. Now it's a matter of keeping the momentum and folks engaged. United we are unstoppable.
One thing that really stood out for me this weekend is what is it that Prop 8 is trying to protect exactly? The moral fiber of society? Heterosexual sex? Do they want to hog all the suits and dresses at the Vera Wang store? I just don't get it. It's about the right to marry the person you love and have the protection which goes along with it. And domestic partnerships are not equal. They simply are not. They grant some of the same things however equal, they are not. If someone can explain to me in a way I may be able to understand then I will listen to see what they are protecting. But from here, I don't get it.
Onto more fun topics: the roving dinner party! Every few months or so, two other couples along with Miss B and I take turns hosting a rockus dinner party. Well this one, the gloves came off and the fellas out did themselves! 5 courses AND dessert. Roll me on outta there because I was so stuffed with goodness I can't even tell you how amazing it was! Everything was fantastic from taste to presentation. Wowza! SO GOOD! The above dish was photographed by A and if you think it looks good, you should have tasted it! Super-yum. Aside from all the goodness and bounty of food, the company was three times as delightful as the food. My cheeks and stomach still hurt from laughing so hard. 3 bottles of wine later....oye. Thank you fellas for hosting such a wonderful night out. Can't wait for the next one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home