Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Monday, July 30, 2007

Blood Diamond and A Long Way Gone

I read this book on my flight from SFO to Michigan recently. I could not put it down. It was a story and recollection of a young man's journey into child soldierhood in Sierra Leone in the early 90's. This was the same time I was in the Peace Corps in The Gambia, only a few countries away. How much did I hear about what was going on there? Not much. Did see several refugees who ended up in The G because of the civil war. However I didn't know it was anything like what he described. This weekend we also watched the movie Blood Diamond which is along the same premise. I am having a really hard time letting the visuals go and it's impact great. I am disturbed by how little we really know as to what is going on in the world around us. Horrific.

This is a highly recommended read and the film was excellent as well. Have your eyes opened...read this and watch this film! Even better, do something about it!

1 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

sadly we don't really know much of anything except whats in our backyard. there's a whole big world out there, which means lots of stuff happening. i'll be sure to check out the book and film. k.o.t

2:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home