Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

PMSday

Rather than call today "Tuesday", it would have been more appropriately titled "PMSday". The ladies at work are all undergoing the struggle of the cycle and it isn't pretty. Within our division of 17 employees, 11 are women and they all sit with one another amongst the sea of cubicles. Their menstrual cycles have now been somewhat aligned (even though some of them use birth control) due to the vast amount of time spent together. The last week of every month is a bear. Two of them showed up crying in my office today. Any other day they can handle the ebb and flow of work and struggles they may be having--not so today. This is promptly admitted and I now know when exactly to bring out the box of tissues and chocolate. It does make the last week of every month intensely challenging. This was quite obvious in our staff meeting today. Attitude was flying all over the place. People were freely letting their frustrations flow and at one point I thought items were going to get thrown around. To make matters worse, I am now aligned as well and was in no mood to put up with what appeared to be whining, complaining, and serious disgrunteledness. The three men in the room hung in there pretty well but all had this look on their face as if to say "How did this happen?". Unfortunately there will be more to put up with tomorrow. At least I have some peanut butter cups and milkyways to subside if not distract them long enough to get through another "PMSday".

Received a call from my current landlord Celia at work. She was shocked that I was seeking another place to live and I was dreading this phone call. Celia is probably 70 years old, sharp as a tack, and one of the best landlord experiences I have ever had. She lives in a retirement facility over in the Western Addition. Upon the first meeting she said "Well you seem like a real nice girl and your credit rating is impeccable! Sign right here please!". Over time we have built a good relationship. I have gone a few times to have dinner with her, just to hang out and talk about her life. Celia is one great lady and it felt like I was telling mom that it was moving day. I hope to still make a trip or two to see her from time to time and hang out. Not many of her relatives come and see her anymore so why not? Only takes a little time and it means a lot to her.

The lineup for Cochella came out on Monday. Can't believe some of the bands whom will be there! To note: Bauhaus, Nine Inch Nails, the Chemical Brothers, Rilo Kiley, New Order and about 8 billion others that I can't think of at this time. At the end of the festival last year I thought I wouldn't care to go again. It was oversold and simply too many people to maneuver through. With any luck there will be more room and fewer frat boys. Why is it they turn up everywhere? Can ya answer me that? I'll tell you what, I'm not going to let the ruin my fun in the sun and music filled weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

PMSday is one day i definitely don't miss. i remember those days. try with with 8 angry lesbians. no fun.

6:10 AM

 
Blogger Brad Williams said...

I want to see Bauhaus, take me.

10:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home