Life as seen through the eyes of a displaced cheesehead formerly living in San Francisco now taking on the Pacific Northwest! Put a bird on it!

Monday, November 14, 2005

Everyone Needs an Emergency Contact


The title doesn't really match the picture now does it? Perhaps I should have had my emergency contact review the Halloween outfit chosen for this year prior to wearing it. Truth be told, I was in the process of going through previous costumes and put on the Moses beard. Miss B thought it would be great if I dressed up as Jerry Garcia rather than something biblical. What you see is the end product of that conversation. It did earn second place at the party attended, who knew that Jerry would be so appealing and a prize winner. Well, the prize was their admiration but still, it won, second only to Adriana who went as Pedro, and what a great costume that was! Miss B settled on an outfit she can recycle for years to come--an astronaut. The bad joke of the day turned out to be the woman school teacher on the space shuttle voyage where it exploded. Then I guess she would be a zombie astronaut, or something like that.

Two weeks ago on my way out of work I received a crucial phone call. Zipping along the 101 headed home for an evening with Miss B to watch the L word, or so I thought. The caller ID showed my pal A ringing in on the line. A couple of months ago she asked if I would be her emergency contact. Of course I said yes, that it would be an honor, and would keep her information handy should some sort of unforeseen event come up. And sure enough, it did. When A calls my phone, it comes up "Private Caller" which always lands her the same response, me picking up singing Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" with the words private caller in place of dancer. This cracks her up. Every single time. However, this time it was different. No giggles on the other end of the phone. Just some lady telling me that she had been in an accident, that she was ok, but I should head to meet her at SF General at the trauma center. Mind blowing freakishness. Off to the hospital and shocking it was.

In the waiting room, surrounded by crackheads (literally), crazed up peeps, ripe smelling street people, and whatever else you can imagine, I sat fretting about my friend and what condition she may be in and if she was going to be ok. Eventually the social worker came out and stated that Adriana would be out in a few minutes. This changed my entire perspective, thinking "Oh, she will be out here with me in a few minutes, must not be too bad.". What actually happened was a different story. After about a half hour they brought me to her wherein x-rays were being taken, her neck in a brace, and it didn't look so good. It got more and more interesting as the evening went on and I saw things that I never thought could possibly happen. I'm just glad I could be there with her to help in any way possible. The past weekend was spent in a flurry of hospital visits, phone calls, and becoming a general cheering section for a friend in need.

Miss A is home from the hospital and recovering nicely. She suffered two broken arms, some bruising, and a few other complications. If you don't have an emergency contact, GET ONE! You never know when you might need it.

2 Comments:

Blogger j. ethan duran said...

nice jerry get up. you are a hippy!

5:11 PM

 
Blogger Brad Williams said...

B has her arm on some guy's leg, so watch out

10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home